Library

Library
Two of Everything

Monday, November 9, 2020

Senior Stories

I've been so immersed in the Protestant Work Ethic, that despite the fact that it usually takes me hours, like until 5, to even start the day; like Martin Luther, I start metaphorically whipping myself for all the things I haven't done. I keep saying, "Well, what do you expect, the election returns are on, and you shouldn't expect a great deal from yourself when you just HAVE to see these returns. It's not a normal time, after all."

Finally, my daughter texts me the kids are coming, so I start vacuuming. Then, my husband looks so disappointed that I haven't gone to the store for my annual grocery shopping, that I cave and do that. But there was one benefit from doing so. At the Dollar Tree, after sweeping through Aldis', I overheard a woman say, "Well, it's over. It's been four years, we had to put up with it, and now, it's their turn. And it was only one term. What does that tell you?" I felt an instant camaraderie with a complete stranger.

Speaking of yet another mature woman from my generation, I heard today, that some young people came up to her and harassed her and told her to take off her mask. What they didn't know about this lady is in her slightly younger years, she used to take off, chasing anyone down the street for any injustice they had done to her or someone she loved. Well, I heard those young people got a tongue lashing the likes of which they'd never heard from an elder.

I guess they call it Silver Disobedience, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment