Library

Library
Two of Everything

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Conversion

 I love good pencils 

and how they boast to be the world's best.
I argue with them, 
"You think you are so special?"
"Try us!" they say, so they behest.
"You're pretty good."  

"Compare us to the riff raff pencils."
"Oh, now you think you're noble, do you?"
They smile back at me, as I try the other brands
for which I used to settle. 
"Erase with them, then, us," they say.
"True; you don't leave a graphite smudge."
They treat me to a piece of fudge.

"Now, write with them, then, us."
"You work smoothly," I confess,
"but doesn't mean you are the best."
"Why are those others in the kettle,
those for which you used to settle?"

I argued with a little girl I raised,
opting for the less expensive brand,
that when I tried them, didn't write,
and found erasers to be fake.
She was right to want to write
and promptly edit her mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment