Library

Library
Two of Everything

Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Fifties Foreshadowing the Women's Movement

 My dad was looking into real estate at one time, and he happened to take me along for an overview of a house, probably a duplex. After the representative showed him the house and the lady of the house, my dad complimented her as not only being a beautiful woman, but an excellent housekeeper. Looking back, the compliment didn't seem to make her face register that she was all that thrilled.

I'm telling this story, because I'm washing the kitchen cupboards, etc. for a change and doing my work in small increments, because it's wise to keep the place cleaner when there's a pandemic, and it's also hot, so escape to the A/C room.
So maybe 50's women were prouder of their role and basked in it, but I'm not entirely sure they were. At any rate, I'll probably be prouder of my kitchen than I will be of myself. I was looking to be a star, not a domestic.

No comments:

Post a Comment