Library

Library
Two of Everything

Tuesday, March 30, 2021

50's Housewife for a Day

 I watched my mom in motion as in, "Road Runner". No wonder she was able to keep the pounds from creeping! But in Mom's case, I think she liked the role, even though she had to go back to work full time with her RN degree. She preferred to be what my brother called his "little gray mother scurrying around the kitchen". One should give it at least a week, though, so as to have the joy of sprinkling, ironing, and hanging everybody's laundry, with underwear concealed behind the sheets.

In appreciation of this, I'm reading this book called, Servants, which is not too complimentary of servitude during that Downton Abbey era. I, so far, haven't thought it's too bad to have skills like that and to be employable in that field. I think the problem was too few had other options. I appreciate domestic skills, never having had them. I'm getting into them now, though, from time to time.

I got inspired by my 50's housewife video, glad we don't have to live that way entirely, anymore, while at the same time, putting on an apron to make a good pot roast🍲 with sides and a cheesecake.🍰 I don't know, however, if Bill will appreciate the stacks of dishes which were the product of my new found domestication. He doesn't even like cheesecake. Well, I do, and I'm pretty sure I made a much more reasonably priced one, since it was "from scratch". This pandemic is having a strange effect, taking me places I have never gone before.

The purpose of a Grandma is to make cheesecake and fudge. I'll have to admit I'm getting better at that stuff than when I was a mere parent. It might have something to do with always having to go out to work rather than starve. What we ate was quickly thrown together.

No comments:

Post a Comment